Top 11 Science-Based Health Benefits of Pumpkin Seeds
1. Full of Valuable Nutrients
- Fiber: 1.7 grams.
- Carbs: 5 grams.
- Protein: 7 grams.
- Fat: 13 grams (6 of which are omega-6s).
- Vitamin K: 18% of the RDI.
- Phosphorous: 33% of the RDI.
- Manganese: 42% of the RDI.
- Magnesium: 37% of the RDI.
- Iron: 23% of the RDI.
- Zinc: 14% of the RDI.
- Copper: 19% of the RDI.
BOTTOM LINE:Pumpkin seeds are rich in antioxidants, iron, zinc, magnesium and many other nutrients. An ounce (28 grams) contains about 151 calories.
2. High in Antioxidants
BOTTOM LINE:Pumpkin seeds are full of antioxidants that may help protect against disease and reduce inflammation.
3. Linked to a Reduced Risk of Certain Cancers
BOTTOM LINE:Some evidence suggests that pumpkin seeds may help to prevent certain cancers.
4. Improve Prostate and Bladder Health
BOTTOM LINE:Pumpkin seeds may reduce symptoms of benign prostate enlargement and an overactive bladder.
5. Very High in Magnesium
- Controlling blood pressure (17).
- Reducing heart disease risk (18).
- Forming and maintaining healthy bones (19).
- Regulating blood sugar levels (20, 21).
BOTTOM LINE:Pumpkin seeds are a rich source of magnesium. Healthy magnesium levels are important for your blood pressure, heart health, bone health and blood sugar levels.
6. May Improve Heart Health
BOTTOM LINE:Nutrients in pumpkin seeds may help keep your heart healthy by reducing blood pressure and increasing good cholesterol.
7. Can Lower Blood Sugar Levels
BOTTOM LINE:Pumpkin seeds may help reduce blood sugar levels for people with type 2 diabetes. However, more research is needed.
8. Very High in Fiber
BOTTOM LINE:Whole pumpkin seeds are an excellent source of fiber. Diets high in fiber are associated with many health benefits, including a reduced risk of heart disease, diabetes and obesity.
9. May Improve Sperm Quality
BOTTOM LINE:The high zinc content of pumpkin seeds may help improve sperm quality and fertility in men.
10. May Help Improve Sleep
BOTTOM LINE:Pumpkin seeds are a good source of tryptophan, zinc and magnesium, all of which help promote good sleep.
11. Easy to Add to Your Diet
BOTTOM LINE:Pumpkin seeds can be easily incorporated into the diet as a snack or as an additional ingredient in meals or baking.